16.9.09

DIY: Felt Flower

My supplies

Some days I find myself spending hours browsing through my Reader subscriptions and by the time I've gotten through all of them I feel like like an under creative, impotent artist. It's like being in middle school again and I'm standing in the high school hallway; un-noticed, small, lack luster and plain uncool.

I've always wanted to try my hand at the beautiful fabric flowers I see all over the net but they always seemed so complicated. So today, with two giant cups of frantic energy (coffee) in my system, I happened upon this tutorial and giveaway at Grosgrain. The only thing I had to do was cut petal shapes out of fabric and use a hot glue gun. With new found confidence I said out loud, to the sleeping dog, "I can do that!"

I immediately rummaged through the "box of coolness," that my husband wonders why I keep, and found some black recycled felt from a 10 min project I did for him a few months ago (see below).

My "office." Underneath the desk to the left is the Box of Coolness.

This is my treasure box of cool sparkly and shinny things I inherited at an old job from the old trashed skating costumes of the Broadmoor Skating Club.

When your husband is a military pilot he'll collect a million patches and pins and want to display them all on his "I love me wall." Covering a cork board with felt is a good way to contain the madness.

Rather than use the printable templates from the tutorial I just made my own. With felt petals in hand and glue gun at the ready I used the glue and fold method in the tutorial to get my flower shape. Found a nice fancy, vintage bead-thing for the center, added some black ribbon and a bobby pin to the back and Viola! My finished hair flower!

It's tough taking pictures of your own head!

This was super easy and I love the result!!