22.2.15

Making Art That Sells: Bootcamp 2015 for February

Well folks, I actually completed the February final assignment for MATS Bootcamp. Man, did I have a hard time submitting the final though ...

Our warm-up exercise was to draw a scene that could be found on a vintage plate. You know, those happy little scenes that are right in the middle of your Grandma's china? I did some internet searching (By the way, how do I not have any plates with scenes in the middle? I thought I spent too much money in Stoke on Trent not to) and found a couple on eBay that spoke to me.




Some sketching led to this ...


Obviously, I feel confident in my sketching and drawing abilities. The line quality is varied and loose and errors don't bother me. 

The final assignment called for "painting on a round piece of wood" and that's where I got really tight and hesitant. I am pretty terrible at painting figural things. No, really terrible. It's so hard! The last time I painted an object/thing has to have been in college, which is practically 13 years ago. I'm pretty sure I was no good at it then either. I supposed I could have opted to do a digital version and mock it up to look like it's on wood, but where's the challenge in that? I may as well work on my weaknesses.

So, here it is. In all it's awful glory.


Guess I'll stick to my day job.